Reverend Charlie’s Column
- June 15 Minister Moment -
I hope you can make it to the Service this Sunday. It is my last time in the pulpit with you. I don’t have a set topic for the sermon … the title is “Kindly Question” and during the service the ushers will be collecting ... read more.
- June 8 Minister Moment -
This is a Jain Sutra, called “Jam Jam Manen Baddham” (from jainbelief.com)
“Whatever wrong I have done by thought,
Whatever wrong I have done by word,
Whatever wrong I have done by deed,
I ask for forgiveness.”
Thanks to all who contributed to last week’s service on Kindness. I quoted ... read more.
- June 1 Minister Moment -
Ramadan Mubarak. Happy June. Happy time to get to work.
This past Wednesday evening I attended a Ramadan Iftar Dinner, sponsored by the Muslim Communities of Hampton Roads in collaboration with the Center for the Study of Religious Freedom at VWU and Virginia Center for ... read more.
- May 25 Minister Moment -
“When the poor ones, who have nothing, still are giving;
when the thirsty pass the cup, water to share;
when the wounded offer others strength and healing:
we see God, here by our side, walking our way;” – Seltz translation of “Cuando el Pobre”
This weekend is Memorial Day ... read more.
- May 20 Minister Moment -
This Sunday is Christian Pentecost, the 50th day after Passover, and, in the book of Acts, the day the apostles were filled with the holy spirit and able to speak to every nation, in fulfillment of Joel’s prophesy. Interestingly, they tend to leave out this ... read more.
- May 11 Minister Moment - Hello from the desert. I am spending a week with other Unitarian Universalist ministers, seminarians and religious educators learning about immigration across the Mexican border. On Wednesday we spent much of our time in Arivaca, Arizona, a small but well-organized community with one food store (larger than ... read more.
- May 4 Minister Moment -
Thank you to the Worship Services Committee for arranging Sunday services while I am away. You will have two of my friends and your neighbors in the pulpit for the next two weeks. Welcome Walter Clark this week and Rev. David Morris next. They will ... read more.
- April 27 Minister Moment - Huzzah! Cheers and thanks for two events this past week. Our Music Sunday Service and our Death Cafe! Both were fine examples of the congregation working together to serve and create. First the music: Thanks to Matt Griset for leading “Earth and the People in It” a celebration ... read more.
- April 20 Minister Moment -
April is such a busy month! Tonight (Friday April 20) is our third time running Death Cafe … an intentionally maudlin-sounding name for a specific, guided reflection on our own mortality. The program was developed to help people “make the most of their (finite) lives” ... read more.
- April 13 Minister Moment -
Bring a flower this Sunday, any flower you want to share. Our yearly Flower Communion is a service dedicated to thinking about diversity and community. We each bring a flower (or select one from our outdoor “pick a flower” vase.) Then all our diverse flowers ... read more.